News (Proprietary)
Planning approval overturned for 221-bed student accommodation in north Dublin
40+ min ago (478+ words) Courts, "contrary to an extraordinarily popular delusion these days, do not tend to quash things on the basis of "mere technicalities, a High Court judge has said. Mr Justice Richard Humphreys, who manages the court's planning and environment list, was delivering a judgment overturning Dublin City Council's planning approval for a 221-bed student accommodation development on lands at Church Lane, Santry, Dublin 9, after the council conceded the case. The developer, Aideen Whelan, a notice party, said she could not take on defending the case after the concession and the judge's indication that issues concerning public participation under EU law arose that would require clarification by the Court of Justice of the EU. While noting Ms Whelan's concern about losing a potential purchaser for the site, the judge said this was a "self-induced problem due to her having twice breached planning…...
Herzog Park denaming ‘divisive and wrong’ and should be withdrawn - Taoiseach
10+ hour, 6+ min ago (1165+ words) A proposal to dename Herzog Park in Dublin to be voted on by councillors in the capital on Monday is "divisive and wrong" and should be withdrawn, Taoiseach Miche'l Martin has said. His remarks come amid an expectation that Dublin city councillors will approve a change that would see the name of a former president of Israel removed from the public park in Rathgar. Herzog Park was named in 1995 in honour of Belfast-born Chaim Herzog, Israel's president from 1983 to 1993, who spent his early childhood in Dublin when his father was chief rabbi of Ireland. The Taoiseach said on Sunday that proposal to rename Herzog Park "should be withdrawn in its entirety and not proceeded with." Mr Martin added: "The proposal would erase the distinctive and rich contribution to Irish life of the Jewish communities over many decades, including actual participation…...
Jazz in the air, trouble on the horizon: New Orleans braces for an unwelcome arrival
10+ hour, 30+ min ago (1732+ words) It seems unlikely that the endless hordes roaming Bourbon Street year round, all day and all night, have that sensation " or maybe that's precisely how they feel. But regardless, the good times determinedly roll in what has been a touchstone year for New Orleans. [I heard the pops and I just ran': New Orleans in shock after vehicle attackOpens in new window] 2025 revolved around the sombre August commemorations of the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. The year began with the senseless, shocking truck-drive attack on a crowd in the French Quarter on New Year's Day. Now, it ends with confirmation of news that New Orleanians had been anticipating for months: Ice agents will move into the city in a concerted sweep of immigration enforcement. And there are other obstacles. Just this week, the city's new mayor, Helena Moreno, announced plans for…...
Woman gets protection order against ex-partner who threatened to ‘burn alive’ their son
11+ hour, 30+ min ago (579+ words) A woman in Dublin who alleged her ex-partner threatened to "burn alive" their young son has been granted a protection order after a court heard he is "capable of anything". The woman, who attended the emergency domestic violence court in Dolphin House on Friday, told judge Gerard Furlong she and her family have received "nothing but abusive threats" from her ex-partner in recent weeks. The threats had intensified since an alleged incident last month, in which she said he "smashed" the window of her sibling's home with glass falling "in on top" of her brother's child, who was sleeping in a pram under the window. "We're in fear for our lives," she said. "He's under the influence of drugs and is capable of anything." She said on Thursday this week her former partner sent threatening messages, with one saying she…...
Overheard: ‘Gary took no prisoners’: man who egged bankers during depths of crash dies
11+ hour, 30+ min ago (1017+ words) Some people just capture the spirit of the age. Gary Keogh, the AIB shareholder who pelted the bank's higher-ups with eggs in 2009 as all about him lost their heads, was one of them. He died last week. "I feel happier about the whole thing than I have done for months," Keogh told The Irish Times in May 2009, in the immediate aftermath of the incident. He had lost "18,000 on his investment in AIB during the course of the crash and, at the age of 65, decided to make his displeasure known. He showed up to the emergency general meeting of the stressed bank and, amid very heated exchanges, targeted the then chief executive Eugene Sheehy and chairman Dermot Gleeson. Sheehy emerged clean, but Gleeson's suit "sustained a direct eggy hit", according to contemporary reporting. The bank was outlining a "3.5 billion government bailout…...
Mark O'Connell: ICC judges wanted Netanyahu arrested. Now they’re being targeted by Trump
1+ day, 24+ min ago (433+ words) The sanctions prohibit any American citizen or legal entity, including their overseas subsidiaries, from providing him with services of any kind. In practice, this has made it almost impossible for Guillou to conduct his affairs in any kind of normal manner. His accounts with American companies such as Amazon, Airbnb, PayPal have all been closed. "For example," Guillou told Le Monde, "I booked a hotel in France through Expedia, and a few hours later, the company sent me an email cancelling the reservation, citing the sanctions. In practice, you can no longer shop online because you do not know if the packaging your product come in is American. Being under sanctions is like being sent back to the 1990s." [Ireland among 79 states united in condemning Trump sanctions on International Criminal CourtOpens in new window] Any bank transaction that involves an American…...
A 34-year secret shrouded in shame paved the way to teach children about the horrors of our past
1+ day, 25+ min ago (447+ words) As she spoke about the circumstances of her son William's birth and death, it was clear that, though more than 60 years had passed, the pain and trauma of those terrible weeks was as acute as ever The charity made arrangements to have Madeleine sent to Ireland. She arrived into Cork Harbour, where she was met by a man in a suit, who put her into a black car and transferred her to Bessborough mother and baby home. For the next three months, the girl who still didn't know where babies came from worked the night shift in the labour ward. [Call for former Bessborough mother and baby home site to be converted into memorial gardenOpens in new window] " " " " " " " " " " " " " - The Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes (2021) found that, between 1922 and 1998, Madeleine and William were among 56,000 mothers and 57,000 children admitted…...
Daring to be Free by Sudhir Hazareesingh: a powerful counter to ‘white saviour’ myth
1+ day, 2+ hour ago (524+ words) When Britain finally abolished slavery throughout its colonies in 1833, more than 100 of the traders who received financial compensation were Irish " including Dublin's famous La Touche banking family ... Daring to be Free by Sudhir Hazareesingh: a powerful counter to "white saviour" myth Quietly devastating study explores how enslaved people fought their oppressors over four centuries "Ireland has its glory," Daniel O"Connell once declared. "No slave ship was ever launched from any of its numerous ports." The Liberator"s own anti-slavery record may have been second to none, but sadly this suggestion that his country had completely clean hands on the issue was mistaken. When Britain finally abolished slavery throughout its colonies in 1833, more than 100 of the traders who received financial compensation were Irish " including Dublin"s famous La Touche banking family whose Jamaican sugar farm had once recorded a captive…...
Influencer Niamh Cullen pays tribute to husband who died aged 33
1+ day, 2+ hour ago (162+ words) Influencer Niamh Cullen and husband Jamie Gill on their wedding day in November 2024. Photograph: Instagram Influencer Niamh Cullen pays tribute to husband who died aged 33 Couple married a year ago in Italy but Jamie Gill began cancer treatment soon after Join The Irish Times on WhatsApp and stay up to date Listen to In The News podcast daily for a deep dive on the stories that matter Dublin's Herzog Park set to be "denamed' by city councillors over Israel connections Bus "ireann coach on Dublin-Donegal service in crash near Enniskillen Met "ireann forecasts a bright, cold weekend once early rain clears Car hits pedestrians in Foxrock after mounting footpath Mother of former conjoined twins Hassan and Hussein Benhaffaf named Carer of the Year "It was utterly sacred': Manch'n Magan's widow on his final days, death and legacy "Christ, I'm angry…...
Man charged with burglary and possession of ‘burglary kit’ after extradition
1+ day, 4+ hour ago (297+ words) A 24-year-old man extradited from the UK to face charges has appeared before a special sitting of Killarney District Court. Jimmy Connors is charged with burglary of a private residence in Bandon, possession of articles related to burglary and driving offences. There was no bail application. Mr Connors, of Bank Place, Tipperary town, has been remanded in custody to appear at Bandon District Court on December 4th. He was represented by solicitor Brendan Ahern. Mr Connors is charged with burglary on January 21st, 2022, at Watergate Terrace, Watergate Street, Bandon, Co Cork. He is also charged with having in his possession "a burglary kit" consisting of a high-powered 3.2 litre petrol Audi A3 vehicle with a false Irish registration plate covering a UK registration plate, a crowbar, screwdriver, disinfectant spray, face-covering and gloves for use in the course of a burglary. He is also charged…...